Dr. Chris Wiggins, from Pascagoula originally, started his orthopaedic practice in 1977, and it has steadily grown with expansion to Lucedale in 1985. In 2001, the merger with Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists made their organization the largest orthopaedic group in Mississippi. Dr. Wiggins continues to maintain an active general orthopaedic practice. Knee, ankle and shoulder conditions are the majority of problems dealt with using methods ranging from office treatments, outpatient arthroscopy, to the latest open surgical procedures. In recent years Dr. Wiggins has developed some side pursuits, writing and developing products for the medical market. “Over the years I have produced medical papers,” said Wiggins, “But I would occasionally wonder if I could write something that would interest a general reader. The Mississippi Press gave me the chance with a series of humorous articles.” This lead to some works, the best known locally was Blood Feud, a novel dealing with an unethical drug manufacturer and artificial blood. “I enjoyed doing it, but I don’t think John Grisham need be worried about me cutting into his profits.” His latest work, A Concise Guide to Orthopaedic and Musculoskeletal Impairment Ratings, has been produced for the medical market. On the “invention front” Dr. Wiggins has a brace for hand fractures that is currently being marketed by a major medical supply company. His wife, Linda is a teacher. There are three children. Brice is an assistant district attorney of Jackson County. Meredith has a law degree and is currently raising children in Baton Rouge. Lindsay is in medical school.
SPECIALTY: Orthopaedic Surgery
SUBSPECIALTY, FELLOWSHIP: General Orthopaedics
- Singing River Hospital
- George Regional Hospital
- Mississippi Coast Ambulatory Surgery Center, Pascagoula, MS
- College-University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AK
- Medical School-University of Arkansas School of Medicine, Little Rock, AK
- Internship-Surgery, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
- Residency-Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Arkansas School of Medicine, Little Rock, AK
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- Fellow, Singing River Medical Society
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Southern Medical Association
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society;
- Southern Orthopaedic Association
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy Board of North America
- American Board of Laser Surgery
- Certified for use of CO2 Laser
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS: Clinical Instructor, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College 1996-Present
- The Pathology, Diagnosis and Medical-Legal Aspects of Death by Drowning, Christopher E. Wiggins and James L. Luke, “Journal of the Oklahoma State Medical Association”, January 1970.
- Pulmonary Embolus Prophylaxis in the Orthopaedic and Trauma Patient. Chris E. Wiggins, “Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society”, January 1976.
- Double-Gloving, “Resident and Staff Physician”, 23, 1:32s, January 1977.
- Nafcillin, Cefazolin and Gentamycin Concentrations in Normal Bone. Presented to the Orthopaedic Research Society, 44th annual meeting, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, Nevada, February 1, 1977.
- Antibiotic Concentration in Normal Bone, “Orthopaedic Transactions”, 1, 2:205, November 1977.
- Concentration of Antibiotics in Normal Bone After Intravenous Injection; Wiggins, et al. “Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery”, 60-A: 93, 1978.
- Beckwire for Passing Sutures Through Bone, Chris E. Wiggins, “Clinical Orthopaedics”, 154:320, March 1981.
- Pronator Syndrome. “Southern Medical Journal”. 75, 2:240, February 1982.
- Office Video. “Contemporary Orthopaedics”, 71, 16:3, March 1988.
- A Useful Technique for Padding Slings and Hanging Arm Casts. “Surgical Rounds for Orthopaedics”. 59, 2:8, August 1988.
- Hearing Protection and Cast Saw Noise, Chris E. Wiggins, M. D. and Karen B. Read. “Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association.” 5,1:1 Spring 1996.
PUBLICATIONS AND NON-MEDICAL:
- Newspaper Column: Mississippi Press, 14 articles from 1993 – 1995, (primarily humorous).
- Noblesse. (inspirational article), Seek Magazine, November 23, 1997.
- A Private Park. (inspirational article), Christian Medical and Dental Society Healthwise, Vol 28, No. 5, p. 32.
- Blood Feud. Fiction medical thriller. Publishamerica, Baltimore, Maryland. 2000.
- Caring Stories: Tales of faith, hope and inspiration by medical personnel and caregivers. Chris Wiggins, Editor, Publishamerica, Baltimore, Maryland, published in 2002.
INVENTIONS: Low Profile Metacarpal Fracture Brace. Co-inventor, Tom Young, ATC, RPT. Marketed by AliMed, Dedham, Massachusetts.
HONORS, AWARDS, ACCREDITATIONS:
- Robert Key - 1971, for the highest academic standing among graduating medical school seniors.
- Outstanding Resident Teacher Award, Department of Orthopaedics, University of Arkansas, 1977, Charter Recipient.
INTERESTS: Duck Hunting, Training Labrador Retrievers, Fishing, Writing
Click on the below link for more information: