Dr. Eric Washington joined Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists in December 2002. He generally works out of their Pascagoula office and Singing River Hospital. Dr. Washington moved to the Mississippi Gulf Coast from St. Louis, Missouri. He had practiced orthopaedic surgery in St. Louis since 1989. Dr. Washington grew up in St. Louis and attended Christian Brothers College JROTC High School. He completed his undergraduate studies at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire and attended medical school at the University of Illinois in Chicago. He trained at the University of Illinois in Chicago for his general surgical internship and orthopaedic residency. After completing his residency, Dr. Washington returned to St. Louis where he developed a private orthopaedic practice and worked as a part-time assistant professor with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at St. Louis University. He currently practices general orthopaedics with a special interest in hip and knee replacement, arthroscopic surgery, and sports medicine. Dr. Washington has continuously served on various hospital advisory and functional committees. The list of committee memberships includes peer review committees, medical executive committees, orthopaedic division chief, chairman of the surgical subspecialty committee, and trauma committee member. He previously served as Chief of Staff for Singing River Health System as well as a board member for the Jackson County Chapter of the American Red Cross. Dr. Washington is married with four children. During his free time, he enjoys outdoor activities such as golf and spending time on the water as well as relaxing with his family.
Education & Training
- Residency: (Orthopaedic Surgery) University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Internship: (General Surgery) University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Medical School: University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Hip, Knee, and Partial Knee Replacement Surgery
- ACL Reconstruction
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopic Surgery
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Ocean Springs Hospital, Ocean Springs, MS
- Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula, MS
- George Regional Medical Center, Lucedale, MS
- Bienville Surgery Center, East Lake, MS
- Abraham, Edward; Washington, Eric; Huang, T. L.; Insall Proximal Realignment for Disorders of the Patella. Clin Ortho., 248: 61-65, 1989.
- Louis Orthopaedic Society 1994 – 2002
- Mound City Medical Forum, Local Subsidiary of National Medical Association 1990 – 2002 Secretary, 1990 – 1992 Second Vice-President, 1992 – 1994 First Vice-President, 1994 – 1998 Executive Committee Member, 1990 – 1998
- Champion Health Plan, P. C., 1995 – 2002 Member of the Board of Directors Only minority owned and operated multi-specialty independent physicians association in the St. Louis metropolitan area.
American Red Cross, Jackson County Chapter, Board Member, 2004 – 2007
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society
- Singing River Medical Society
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Update on Total Joint Replacement Surgery – Lecture Meeting of the Mound City Medical Forum. April 1990, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Painful Knee Syndromes – Update on Evaluation and Management – Lecture Meeting of the Mound City Medical Forum. March 1995, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Evaluation and Treatment of Osteoporosis – Presented at Regional V Conference of The National Medical Association. April 1997, St. Louis, Missouri.