Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists
The DME Specialist is responsible for the proper fitting of therapeutic products as indicated by physician instruction and manufacturer recommendation.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Under physician supervision, provides non-custom therapeutic shoes, non-custom shoe inserts, and custom shoe inserts for diabetic patients.
- Assesses the patient’s physical condition and individual needs (including circulation, skin integrity, protective sensation, and pain) to recommend an appropriate treatment plan.
- Measures patient for shoes/inserts, selects appropriate model, evaluates shoe/insert fit, makes minor adjustments of shoes to ensure proper fit, and educates the patient on the use of the prescribed products.
- Provides follow-up care to enhance function and ensure the overall effectiveness of the treatment plan and recommended shoe/inserts.
- Obtains patient information and appropriate insurance and payment authorizations; enters patient records in EHR system.
- Maintains accurate stock lists and inventory of therapeutic shoes and inserts.
- Assists DME with application and removal of orthotics, casts, and splints as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Kinesiology, Athletic Training or related field preferred. 5 or more years’ experience as a DME Technician, Physical Therapy, Orthopedic, or related field preferred. Certification as a Therapeutic Shoe fitter preferred.
- Must have the ability to objectively solve and evaluate complex problems by using good judgment that is consistent with quality of care standards, organizational standards, policies, procedures, and applicable law.
- Must be able to build and maintain effective working relationships with patients. Must be able to demonstrate a strong sense of customer-focus.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to work independently within interpretive guidelines, and perform effectively in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have and maintain a valid Mississippi driver’s license and be able to travel to all clinic locations, as needed.
- Must have the ability to work overtime, as needed.
- Must have the ability to meet the physical requirements necessary to successfully perform required job duties.
To apply for this job please visit www.bienvilleortho.com.