Yekaterina Karpitskaya, MD
Entering the field of orthopaedic surgery, male or female, you have to be prepared to work hard, make sacrifices, and be resilient. My role as provider, surgeon, wife, and mother is complex, but if you set your sights on it and work hard, anything is possible.
- Sports Medicine
- General Orthopaedics
- General Orthopaedics
- Sports Medicine
A native of Russia, Dr. Karpitskaya came to the United States at the age of 14, graduated as valedictorian in high school and Summa Cum Laude in college and then continued her education at Washington University in St. Louis, where she obtained her medical degree. She went on to complete her orthopaedic surgery residency at UCLA and also served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force. Dr. Karpitskaya joined Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists in 2011 and sees patients in both the Biloxi and Gautier offices. Double board certified in sports medicine and general orthopaedics and 15 Ironman races under her belt, she has firsthand knowledge of injury and prevention. Some of the more common conditions Dr. Karpitskaya sees and surgeries she performs include hip, knee and shoulder replacements; shoulder, knee and ankle arthroscopic surgeries; ACL and other ligament reconstruction, rotator cuff repairs; tennis and golfer’s elbow; bicep/tricep tendon repair; carpal and cubital tunnel surgery; thumb arthritis; trigger finger; and adult and pediatric fracture repair, among other procedures.
Education & Training
- Fellowship: University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- Residency: University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- Medical School: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- Total Joint Replacement Surgery
- Robotic joint surgery/partial knee replacement
- Patient-Specific Instrumentation (PSI) total knee replacement
- Cartilage preservation procedures/Carticel/subchondroplasty procedure
- Shoulder arthroscopy/total shoulder replacement
- Patellofemoral joint surgery (Osteotomies, MPFL reconstruction, Arthroplasty)
- Fracture Care
- Ocean Springs Hospital, Ocean Springs, MS
- Singing River Hospital, Pascagoula, MS
- Merit Health, Biloxi, MS
- Singing River Gulfport, Gulfport, MS
- Memorial Surgery Center at Cedar Lake, Biloxi, MS
- Bienville Surgery Center, East Lake, MS
- Yekaterina Karpitskaya MD, Joshua Miller BS, and Norman Otsuka MD. The Influence of Arterial Flow on Capillary Refill in Pediatric Lower Extremity. J of Surg Ortho Adv. 2008; 17(2): 76-4
- Yekaterina Karpitskaya MD, Joshua Miller BS, Michael Moon CRT and Norman Otsuka MD. The Influence of Arterial Flow on Capillary Refill in Pediatric Lower Extremity.
- Podium presentation at AAOS 2007 meeting, San Diego, CA Arya Nick Shamie, MD
- Yekaterina Karpitskaya, MD; Thomas Scioscia MD, John Abelson, BA; Langston Holly, MD; Larry Khoo, MD; Jeffrey Wang, MD. Acute Kyphosis Correction of the Thoracolumbar Spine Using the Synex Expandable Cage.
- Poster presented at NASS 2005 meeting, Philadelphia, WA Charles C. Edwards, II, Yekaterina Karpitskaya, Chuck Cha, John G. Heller, Carl Lauryssen, S. Timothy Yoon, and K. Daniel Riew.
- Accurate Identification of Adverse Outcomes After Cervical Spine Surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86:251-256
- Y Karpitskaya, CB Novak, SE Mackinnon. Prevalence of Smoking, Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus and Thyroid Disease in Patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Ann Plast Surg. 2002 Mar; 48(3): 269-73.
- Y Karpitskaya and JW Mink “Parkinsonian Rigidity: Its Pathophysiology and Response to Treatment,” (poster) Senior Thesis, HHMI Symposium, fall 1997
- Y Karpitskaya, AJ Bastian, JW Mink and WT Thach “The Effects of Medication on Gait Parameters and Postural Stability in the Elderly Parkinsonian Patients,”(poster) HHMI Symposium, fall 1996
- JW Mink, Y Karpitskaya, K Wenger, and J Flekal “The Pallidotomy Paradox: Different Motor Effects of Globus Pallidus Lesions in Normal and Parkinson’s Disease Brains,” (poster) Society for Neuroscience, 28th Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA Nov 1998
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery