Benjamin P. Watts, Jr., PA-C
A native of Pascagoula, Benny joined Bienville Orthopaedic Specialists in 2012 as a Certified Physician Assistant. He earned his BS in Biomedical Sciences and his Masters of Health Science in Physician Assistant Studies from the University of South Alabama in Mobile, where he also served as adjunct faculty for two years following his educational career. Benny is married with three children and enjoys hunting, fishing, and watching his boys compete in sports during his free time.
- Watts, Jr., B.P., Barnard, M ., Turrens, J.F. (1995). Peroxynitrite –dependent chemiluminescence of amino acids, proteins, and intact cells. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 317, 324-330.
- Barnard, M ., Robertson, 8., Watts, Jr., 8.P., Turrens, J .F. (1996). Role of nitric oxide and superoxide anion in spontaneous lung chemiluminescence. American journal of Physiology.
- Turrens, J .F., Watts, Jr., B.P., Zhong, L., Decampo, R. (1996). Inhibition of trypanosoma cruzi and T. brucei NADH fumarate reductase by benznidazole and anthelminthic imidazole derivatives. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, 82, 125-129.
- Pollet, E., Martinez, A., Metha, 8., Watts, Jr., B.P., Turrens, J.F.(1998). Role of tryptophan oxidation in peroxynitrite chemiluminescence. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 349, 74-80.
- Fellow, American Academy of Physician Assistants
- Board Certified National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- “Carotid Arterial Disease,” Gulf Coast Institute of Vascular Ultrasonography. 2001, September.
- “Vascular Disease: A Brief Overview,” University of South Alabama, Department of Physician Assistant Studies. 1999, July 28.
- “Light Emission During Peroxynitrile-Dependent Amino Acid and Lipid Oxidation,” Abstract presented at the International Symposium on Free Radicals, Excited States, and Antioxidant Defenses in Biological Systems, Montevideo, Uruguay. 1995, December 14-15. Khan, A., Watts, J r., B.P., Turrens, J.F.
- ”Furmarate Reductase Inhibitors as Potential Drug Against Chagas Disease,” University of South Alabama Science Fair. 1995.
Honors and Awards
- All-American Collegiate Scholar
- Most Outstanding Student Award, Department of Physician Assistant Studies, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Ordained Deacon, Martin Bluff Baptist Church, Gautier, MS